St. Edmund

Edmund of Abingdon, monk and subsequently Archbishop of Canterbury, is believed to have lived and taught in the early 13th century at the site that became St. Edmund Hall in 1317. St. Edmund Hall alone, of the most ancient original Oxford communities, still survives. The well shaft in the Front Quad and the chimney shaft of the Buttery remain from its medieval foundation; the enchanting Front Quad dates from the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries. Its library is housed in a beautifully restored medieval Norman church; the dining hall and most living facilities were built since 1968.

More history on St Edmund Hall

The St Edmund Hall University of Oxford Web Page